FIDDLEBOP NEWSLETTER 2 (6 Oct 2012)
Hi there! Here is the the second email newsletter from FiddleBop. We hope that you are happy to get this in your inbox; but if you are not, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All the best! Hope to see you at a gig soon :-)
Dave and Jo
- Next Thursday, 11 October. Starting about 7.30 pm will be one of our 'Open Practice' sessions at the Bell, Adderbury, Oxon. This is a kind of informal gig (not an open jam session, sorry for misleading people) which enables
us to try out new songs and tunes and generally take risks :-) Rob Adkins plays bass at this one, and Martin Crowder is our guest, on guitar.
- Next Saturday, 13 October. We'll be playing at the Norman Knight, Whichford, from 8.30 pm. This should be a fun gig! It is our first at this excellent award-winning pub: http://www.thenormanknight.co.uk/. Lots of fine beers here! Rob Adkins plays bass, plus Tim the landlord may join us on cajón (it's a kind of percussion, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caj%C3%B3n)...
- Next Sunday, 14 October. What a busy weekend... From about 3.30 pm we'll again be at the Bell, Adderbury, Oxon. It's Jayne's and Hugo-the-landlord's birthdays! Rob Adkins plays fretless bass. Is this a party or is it a gig? (Does it matter?) Be there or be square!
- For more FiddleBop gigs, see https://fiddlebop.org/gigs.html
- Our main news this month is that our double bass player Roger Davis was admitted to hospital with pneumonia. Whew! Thankfully, he is now home again and recovering well. Some of you will remember that Roger has also, less than a year ago, had to recover from a broken arm (a horse kicked him). So it's been a bit of an annus horribilus for Roger the bass... We're sure that a restorative pint, or other expression of goodwill, will be much appreciated should you bump in to him (not literally of course, he's not THAT ill).
- But even without Roger, we greatly enjoyed playing at Chippy Jazz And Music 2012! Our friend Karl Wagner (of the Blue Meanies: http://www.bluemeanies.biz/) stepped in to play double bass, almost literally at the last minute. Thanks Karl! And Martin Crowder was our esteemed musical guest, on guitar and banjo. With a very good and lively crowd at the Red Lion, everyone had a fine time (even us, once we let out breath and got going...) FiddleBop will be back at Chippy Jazz and Music 2013 -- and yes, it does spell C JAM as in C-Jam Blues :-)
- For more about FiddleBop, see https://fiddlebop.org and http://www.facebook.com/FiddleBop.
All the best!
Dave and Jo